Taste the flavour of the High Country
Food and wine in the High Country have their own unique flavours - perhaps because the people who grow, bake, pick and crush High Country produce all have a real passion for what they do. Check out the Mansfield Farmers Market
- fully accredited by the VFMA.
Look out for delicious specialties such as Verde olives, chevre cheese and estate bottled olive oils.Smoked trout and locally reared, aged beef are also highlights, as well as the wide range of delicious produce. There are also plenty of eateries - from cafes to fine dining restaurants - where you can indulge your own passion for High Country tastes.
And of course, nothing compliments the local gourmet fare quite like locally produced wines. The High Country encompasses what is known as the Upper Goulburn Wine region
. Vines hug the hinterland and the region is known for its aromatic whites, French style sparkling and elegant textural red wines. The winemakers themselves are definitely worth a visit. And if wine isn't your thing, you can visit a High Country micro-brewery
for delicious boutique beers, made with crystal clear mountain waters.
So what would we recommend as the ultimate High Country gastronomic experience? Take a gourmet picnic loaded with regional produce plus a bottle of local wine or beer, and head up into the mountains to enjoy it with the views.
It's great for the digestion!
Check out our local wineries..
Buller View Wines
- Located on the edge of Mansfield township, Buller View's hand tended grapes produce wines of the highest quality. Your visit would be most welcome. View www.bullerviewwines.com.au
- Established by the Ritchie Family in 1982, Delatite is an icon of high country wineries. Specialising in delicate aromatics, made from Bio dynamically grown grapes, and simple but beautiful platters, the Cellar Door and Larder is now conveniently located in Mansfield. Call the friendly team at Delatite on 03 5775 2922 or view www.delatitewinery.com.au
Kinloch Wines -Cellar Door & Fine Food
- A family run vineyard and cellar door located in the spectacular Booroolite Valley. Relax and feel at home - the cellar door is the weekend hub for locals and friends to gather - food and wine is enjoyed by all and great conversation flows easily. Call Malcolm or Susan on 03 5777 3447 or view www.kinlochwines.com.au
Ros Ritchie Wines
- Carefully crafted wines handpicked from individual vineyards in the cool climate High Country of Victoria. Made with skill and passion. Call Ros on 0448 900 541 or view www.rosritchiewines.com
Pedal to Produce
Victoria’s High Country has created Pedal to Produce, a tasty initiative that involves cycling through Victoria’s most beautiful countryside enjoying the region’s gourmet delights. Click to view the Food, Wine and Cycle Guide for Mansfield in & around town
and Mansfield & surrounds.